Thursday, April 9, 2009

Last night at church I handed off my copy of Twilight to my friend to read. In doing so, it started a conversation with another woman* about the type of books I liked. She asked if I enjoyed science fiction. I've never considered myself a science fiction reader, but I did recently begin C.S. Lewis' science trilogy. I am only reading these because he wrote them; I doubt I would have picked them up otherwise.

If I had been asked a few years back if I enjoyed fantasy books, I would have denied that, too. By description, I don't enjoy that genre. Yet, when I examine the books I have enjoyed, I think they fit the fantasy definition: Harry Potter, Twilight, and of course, all the Narnia books. Haven't made it through the Tolkien fantasies yet, but did enjoy the movies. I suppose, like most readers, I enjoy a particular style more than others, but I am very willing to venture into other genres, if the writing is good.


*This segued into a discussion on the Potter controversy. She was not familiar with the Granger books/studies which point to the infusion of godly concepts and characters in the series. It was an interesting, albeit brief, conversation.

No comments: