Friday, April 3, 2009

Books Read: April-June 2009

image
The Christmas Sweater
by Glenn Beck
Fiction
I really tried hard to like this book, but it fell flat for me. It's not exactly the warm Christmas story that it's sold as. Also, the faith message starts well but gets very muddy near the end. The author does add a postscript where he clearly defines the purpose of Christ, even if it's not incorporated into the story. This book is mostly just sad.














Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
Fiction


I guess it's official...I'm a Twilight fan. (My teenage sons groan at this.) The story was irresitible and exciting. Not the perfect novel, but a very good one. I'll be reading the sequels and, this weekend, watching the movie.



Harry Potter and the Deathy Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Fiction
This was my second time and I found the complicated plot easier to pick up than the first time (then I was speed reading because I feared the media would give away the ending). Rowling is an amazing weaver of details into a complete picture. I didn't bawl like the first time, but I am sad to say goodbye to Harry and Hogwarts.






Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore
Non-fiction
Book Club Book
Ron Hall is a wealthy art dealer who moves among Texas' elite. Denver Moore is an angry, illiterate homeless man who grew up in modern slavery. This is the story of how their lives intersected when Ron's wife made it her mission to serve the poorest of the poor. It is an amazing story of struggle and heartbreak, but ultimately the power of God and the impact of one person doing something good for others. The story is all the more fascinating because it is current and true... and the seeds of Deborah Hall's work are thriving today.

No comments: