Friday, January 2, 2015

One step forward, two steps back

Maybe I should have known better than to start such a big challenge in December. 
The first set back we had was the busy pace of the season. There is no way we could get rid of 1000 items in one month (my amended goal after a discussion with my husband).  If we had time to declutter that might have happened, but we definitely did not have time. 

The second setback was my plan not to buy any decorations during post Christmas sales. Our outside decor was showing its age. We live on a tiny cul de sac and I noticed our neighbor had pretty silver and gold decorations (do you hear Burl Ives in your head?) My old ones were blue and white; our lights were so bad we had two strands of colored, and one strand of white--of which only half lit up.  I came up with the idea of buying silver and gold oversized ornaments to color coordinate with the neighbors and energy saving LED C-9 lights.  

Thankfully, the post-Christmas sales were pretty deep; I bought about two dozen ornaments, but the average price was only about $2. We also bought two reels of lights for about $12--a huge discount for large LEDs. The upside is we should not have to spend as much for electricity as the old style lights.

The step forward was that we did manage to do some cleaning and got rid of several items including five boxes of books.


Goodbye books!


We said goodbye to:
13 Christmas items
4 stuffed animals
27 items of clothing & shoes
5 soup plates (but I bought new ones to replace them)
3 purses/totes
17 household decor items
160 books!
----------------

229 items

total items removed so far: 329

So to recap: I didn't get rid of 1000 items in December, but I did get rid of over 300. And I bought new Christmas decor.  

2015 is now here and I'm ready to start decluttering again!

No comments: